Popular Posts

Sunday, June 3, 2012

New Potatoes and Green beans A staple food

I say that tongue in cheek.  It is just that this time of year we eat a lot of green beans in various forms and one of our favorites is green beans and taters.  I made some a couple of days ago when we dug up one of our potato hills so thought I would share how easy they are to make.




Pick the beans, snap the ends off and wash them.  Cut them up into 1 inch sections in to a large pot, scrub and add the potatoes slicing the larger ones into smaller sections so that the potatoes are all about the same size.








At this point I add sea salt and sometimes I add baking soda.  I can't tell you why only that my grandmother and mother did the same and the beans were delicious.  One thing I have noticed is that if I add baking soda at the end when I add a bit of cream it tends to clot and stick to the beans which is very yummy.








 This particular batch of beans I made did not have baking soda in them.  Once you add the salt, cook the beans until the potatoes are very tender then add a bit of cream and stir up.  Now you can enjoy your healthy and nutritious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment