Popular Posts

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Preserving Peaches and Blackberries in Brandy

We purchased a case of cling peaches from our co-op about a week ago. They were just for eating since they are hard to can when the pits don't come out well.  I guess I was anxious for the taste of peaches and couldn't wait for the freestone variety that is easy to can.  The family put a good dent in the case (some family members who will go un-named eating 5-7 peaches a day) but weren't able to finish it before everyone was tired of peaches. At that point the peaches themselves were very ripe.  I had read about preserving fruit in  alcohol, so I decided to try it with the peaches and some of the blackberries we have been picking.



Since we had Ginger Brandy in the pantry I decided to use that.  Using a gallon "pickle" jug, I put blackberries in the bottom of the jar.  With help from the kids we got the peaches skinned and cut up into the jar.  I packed them tight and poured the brandy until it covered the fruit. The jar is now sitting on top of my refrigerator in the basement. I figure that around Christmas we can open it up and sample the brandied fruit.



I think this will be very good in a cake or muffins and I'm not too worried about the alcohol content because most of the time with baking and cooking, the alcohol cooks off.  I'm also wondering if I can re-use the leftover alcohol (maybe adding more) next year.


I have read that in the German Countryside they used to have a crock that they kept the leftover fruit in during the season.  Putting different kinds of fruit and berries in as they came in season during the ear and topping with some alcohol.  During the winter months they would break this out as a special treat.



6/11/12 Update..... Don't fill the jar too full because the fruit and brandy work and expand.  I had to take some of the mixture out and put in another jar.  Next time I will only fill the jar 3/4 full. 

No comments:

Post a Comment