Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pesto

I finally got around to picking some basil and making pesto.  I can't always afford the Pine nuts that go in most pest recipes so I use walnuts and have been known to use almonds or cashews as well.  Just depends on what I have available.  For this batch I used fresh basil, sea salt, olive oil, and walnuts.  I try to keep my walnuts in the freezer to keep them fresh until I use them.  I also put sunflower seeds in the freezer in quart canning jars to keep them fresh.

 I gather the ingredients and get out my trusty food processor.  Wash and put the basil in the processor, add salt, Parmesan, and walnuts.  Mix until well chopped and drizzle the olive oil in the processor while it is still going until the pesto is the consistency you like.
 Scrape out and eat or use in cooking.  This batch went into a freezer bag for the freezer.  We will get it out and enjoy it when there isn't anymore fresh basil in the garden.  We like to put pesto on crackers and eat it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment