Popular Posts

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Chai Tea Concentrate (decaf)


I found a wonderful recipe on "The Elliot Homestead" Blog that I tweaked and tried.  Hmm, this tea is so good, almost like dessert in a cup.  I love sipping a warm cup of it on the front porch in the afternoon.  This recipe is so simple and you can get all the ingredients at your local store.  Not to mention, it is cheaper than buying it already made.
                                                                                                        


The recipe on the blog makes 6 cups of concentrate and since I have a half gallon jar (and really like chai tea) I decided to make a full half gallon.  There are different kinds of Chai tea and it can be caffeinated or decaffeinated depending on the tea you use.  I choose decaf because I don't need the extra caffeine.  I may play around with this recipe in the near future and I definitely will make it a little stronger next time.  The batch was good but I wanted a bit more spice flavor to come out when the milk was added.

Decaf Chai Tea

8 cups spring or filtered water in a pot
8 tbsp Rooibos Tea
6 cinnamon sticks
25 peppercorns~cracked in a mortar
15 cloves~cracked in a mortar
20 allspice berries~cracked in a mortar
1/4tsp cardamon powder (recipe called for 4 cracked pods)
1/8th tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1tsp ginger powder
2 whole vanilla pods

Place ingredients in the pot with the water and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer for 25 minutes or more.  Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup succanat to taste and strain in to jar.  I save a re-use the vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks.







Here I am straining the tea through a cheesecloth.  I did have to bleach to cheesecloth afterward because of the tea staining it.













You can see the cinnamon and vanilla pods drying on a plate.  To drink you place 1/2 of the concentrate in a cup and fill the rest up with milk.

Ok, I have to share a big secret with you.  I add a tsp. of ginger honey that I make to the tea....it is out of this world good.  Hope you enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment