Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ginger update and other miscellany

Here is the ginger I planted a few weeks ago, I am so excited that it sprouted.  Once it started it has grown very quickly every day. Now to see if I can find a place in my flower beds and get it to overwinter this year.  It is 2 feet tall right now but I have read that it can get as tall as 4 feet.  guess I might have to plant it outside for the summer just to give it the space it needs.

 Remember the seedlings I started a few weeks ago?  We have transplanted the tomatoes, cabbage, and broccoli.  The pepper seedlings got a little dried out by the wood stove and lost some leaves.  They are sprouting more but are a little behind from their dehydration.  May have to purchase extra peppers this year...will have to wait and see.


This is a tray of hand milled soap that Paige made.  The nicest scents are pearberry and lemon-calendula, IMHO of course.  Hand milled soap is nice because you can add all kinds of ingredients and not have to worry about them interacting with the lye and changing color or "seizing" the soap.
 I spent a rainy day cleaning out our pantry and organizing my herbs.  They were on four different shelves plus the floor before I began this project.  Now they are all labeled and arranged in alphabetical order for easy access when we need them.  I have been making a lot of teas lately so we are into the herbs quite often.  After I  finished, I realized it would be really nice to have the herbs in the same size jars but then I also realized that it wouldn't be practical since I use a ton of comfrey and only a tiny bit of boneset etc, etc.



Last but definitely not least is this jar of beets and pickled eggs.  This has become a springtime tradition.  I can't imagine Easter without a pickled egg.  I used what was left of a can of our pickled beets and added a touch more Bragg's ACV to cover the eggs.  These store for a couple of weeks like this and get more "pickled" with age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment