Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Infused oil for salve

In the summer I infuse some herbs in olive oil to make salve with during the fall and winter months.  We use this salve for everything from bumps and bruises to massaging it on the goats udders after milking them.  I used to use dried herbs for this but have found that the infusion is easier and it seems to have more of the properties of the herbs in it.  There a few herbs that I like to infuse and would not want to be without.  I try to plant them wherever we live.  They would be Comfrey, Rosemary, Mint, and Lavender.  There are other herbs I like to have around but these are the ones that we purposefully plant for salve.   I also gather Plantain and Chick Weed from our lawn for this infusion.  I put the Chick Weed and Plantain in one jar together but the other herbs I separate into their own jars.  I use wide mouth canning jars and lids for this.  To make the infusion get a canning jar and pack it 3/4 full of herbs and cover with the oil of your choice.  I use olive oil or grape seed oil.  It is very important to make sure the herbs are covered by the oil or they will mold in the jar.  I place these jars on our back porch in the sun and shake them up once or twice a day for two or more weeks.  Then they are strained through a sieve, oil placed in a clean jar and labeled, and herbs thrown on the compost pile.  From there I use them as I make the different salves or lotions.


1 comment:

  1. Sherri, what part of the lavender do you use? Do you use the foliage or wait for the flowering lavender?

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete