Popular Posts

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spring at Raisin' Acres

Life around the farm has been hectic to say the least, those of you who have animals or plant a garden know what I mean.  Spring is a busy time of year around a farm.  Nature has come alive after a time of rest and starts to burgeon forth with new growth and starts to reproduce.  We have been happily planting seeds and plants for a couple of months now and are being rewarded for our labors with a small harvest of greens, strawberries, and herbs but the best is yet to come.
I planted 6 different kinds of heirloom tomato plants from seed this year, a total of 40 plants.  Some of the plants are just beginning to bloom.  I can't wait to sink my teeth into some juicy tomatoes.  The garden is really starting to grow now. 

We have had chicks and goats kids born on the farm this year:

Ameracauna Chicks 2wks old
 
Layla's Buckling
Yoko and buckling



With the advent of baby goats we have been milking up a storm.  We are currently getting around 5 gallons a day.  I am pretty impressed with our goats that just freshened this year for the first time, they are both giving us a gallon a day each.  The baby goats are eating 1.5 gallons or more of that milk for us.  The rest we drink or process into Yogurt, cheese, ice cream, and whatever else we can think of.  I would like to try my hand at some goat milk soap this year.  I have the supplies now I just need to find the time.  Here are a couple of pictures of our milking girls.  We have Alpine and Lamancha goats on the farm.
Peppa
Rosie AKA Rosemary
Layla

Here are some pictures of the gardens in the early spring.
Back yard and porch area.
Back yard raised beds
Raised beds
Front garden

I will post some updated pictures of the gardens when I get a minute.  I hope you enjoyed the tour.




No comments:

Post a Comment