Popular Posts

Monday, April 30, 2012

Making Rose Water

This time of year I like to make rose water to use for our complexion.  It is a wonderful moisturizing toner that is natural, smells wonderful, and lasts for a long time.  Because it lasts for so long and the roses aren't as plentiful later in the year, I like to make a big batch first thing in the spring.  I have used this a year after making and it is still fresh and smells nice.  This is the rose bush we harvested the rose petals from for our recipe.



I use a half gallon mason jar with a lid, distilled water, rose petals and 1/2 oz. Vodka.

Gather as many petals as you can to fill the jar.  I like to pinch off the whole rose and then take the petals off to place in the jar.  That way I am encouraging the rose bush to bloom more while making my rose water at the same time.



Once the jar is 3/4 full pour distilled water over petals until they are just covered.  I push them down under the water then place the lid on the jar and set it in the sun for 3-5 days depending on the amount of sun we are getting.  Shake the jar every day at least once.  If you are ambitious you can pick more petals and push down under the water every day.  I didn't do that this time and the rose water turned out fine.   Strain the petals and water through a mesh basket to separate.  Add the vodka to the rose water (this is a preservative) and put in bottles of your choosing.  I place the rose water in the refrigerator at this point and either get out small amounts at a time or use it straight from the fridge.  It feels nice on your face when cold.

1 comment:

  1. We are going to do this one!! I did not realize we could make this so easily!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete