Popular Posts

Monday, June 11, 2012

Last couple of days

Yeah! Our corn is standing back up and it looks like we will be able to harvest it.  That really makes all the corn lovers in the family happy.  I love going out to the garden and just standing still with my eyes closed, I can feel the energy in the air from all the green plants.  It makes me wonder what it feels like to be in a jungle full of growing vegetation.  We are picking half a peck of cucumbers at a time now.  They never seem to go to waste that is for sure.  I have kicked around the idea of making some fermented dill pickles but have never (and I mean never) been able to make a dill pickle that was crisp.  I found a recipe that calls for grape leaves in the water to crisp the cucumbers but I don't know if I dare try it.  We may can and put up a lot of things around here but dill pickles definitely are not one of them.  The tomatoes are on the verge of ripening, I can't wait to eat that first one sliced thick with sea salt and pepper.  We have eaten tons of zucchini and yellow squash and our palates need a break.  I processed some of the zucchini and froze it to make bread this winter.  Now we are looking for unsuspecting customers to pawn some off on.

Pat, Rachel, and Connor took off to meet my parent's this morning.  I miss Paige and Ian and can't wait to see them.  I was very thankful that they made sure chores were done before they left this morning.  I will be responsible for all the chores this evening.  I keep telling myself that I can do it, and I know that they will get done just not in a short amount of time.  These are the times that I think about having a milking machine to milk the goats.  I loaded a basket up with squash, blackberries (thank you Rachel & Connor), and cucumbers for Mom and Dad to enjoy since their garden hasn't started producing yet.    Rachel also took "Pheobe" or "the Pheobster" (puppy) with her.  She is continuing to endear herself to us......barn dog?  I'm not sure how all that is going to work out but the prospect of her living out in the barn isn't looking good.  So I guess our plan is back firing on us.

We have been getting some much needed rain the last couple of days so even though it seems dark and dreary today I am thankful.  Pat and I celebrated out 22nd wedding anniversary this weekend by going out to dinner and a movie.  We tried an Italian restaurant in the area, it was very good but not as good as Tanino's.  Either way we enjoyed a night out together and had some wonderful conversation.  We have completed all the staining on the deck that we can for now.  Pat will be replacing the back stairs so that part will have to wait.  I can't wait to put the furniture back on the deck and see how it looks.  After staining for two days straight we took it easy for couple of days.

There are some projects I would like to get done in the near future like power washing the area we milk the goats in and white washing or painting the wall.  Making a chicken yard for the chickens so we can leave them penned when we don't want them all over the place.  Plus, we will probably be able to gather more eggs since I suspect that some of the hens are running off and hiding their eggs.  Painting a sign with our farm name on it.  Painting and getting the bunkhouse around so it can be used.  Finding room and planting more seeds for a second harvest.  A big one is getting the green house put up.

For today I will enjoy my time alone.  Besides canning some milk for winter use I will spend some time in the word and do a little organizing around the house before it is time to do chores.

No comments:

Post a Comment