Popular Posts

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sun Dried Tomatoes


Remember the post about heirloom tomatoes and my special Principe Bhourgese tomatoes?  The ones I planted from seed specifically to dry.  I finally had the chance to dry them, well I am still drying them since they are very prolific producers.  I almost lost the plants this spring to a late frost.  I was pretty upset until I saw green shoots coming from the lower stems.

I first started thinking I needed to take the skins off the tomatoes to dry them but then read up some on drying them and found out that there are different ways to dry tomatoes.  After taking the skins off the first batch I decided to take the easy route and cut them in half before I placed them on my special drying screen.  Once I cut them I covered them with cheeseclothe and placed the frame in the sun.  It is kind of important to cover the tomatoes because if you don't bugs and flies will be all over them.  The next day I turn them over to get the other side dried.  They are usually ready to go in my glass jar by the end of the second day.  While I was at it I decided to try and dry some of the orange tomatoes as well.  I can't wait to use these in oiled feta or other recipes this winter.  They have such an intense tomato flavor that I'm sure they will bring back memories of harvest and fresh tomatoes when we eat them.






No comments:

Post a Comment