Popular Posts

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sunshine Carrots from my garden


So I can't take credit for the recipe but I can take some credit for the carrots we grew.   My family eats a lot of carrots and in the winter I have to buy organic carrots by the 5 or 10 lb bag every other week.  The recipe I made today can be found on 101cookbooks.com if you are interested in all the details and want to try it out for yourself.
 I washed and scraped the carrots, then using a peeler shaved them into thin slices eating the cores that were too small to slice as I went.  I really like the looks of the blood carrots sliced, the red outline looks really nice in the bowl.  I minced a jalepeno and zested a lemon for this recipe.  Don't you just love the smell of lemon?  I also squeezed the juice out of the lemon to use in the carrots.


I heated a pan with some olive oil and sea salt. added the shaved carrots for 30 seconds.  Added the jalepeno and lemon zest.  Then I scraped the carrot in a large bowl, added the lemon juice and minced cilantro.  Right before we eat it I will toast walnuts or pepitas and add to the salad for a little flavor and extra crunch.  We have eaten this both hot and cold.  Personally I like it cold after it marinates for a bit.  I will put this in an attractive dish to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment