Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Longer days and garden planning

Have I ever mentioned that I love being outside in the garden?  If I haven't, now you know.  When I die and go to heaven, I want to take care of the plants in the gardens there.  Probably won't need me since there won't be any weeds, lack of water, bugs, or diseases to deal with.  Maybe they will let me design the gardens.

Can you also tell that I am longing for warm dirt, fresh greens, and the new life of spring?  Well, that pretty much sums it up.  The problem is I have been getting seed catalogs in the mail.  How do they know the right time to send them to winter-weary people?  I know I should be thankful, I still have broccoli, cabbage, and some leaf lettuce in my raised beds but I am ready for warmer weather and digging in the earth.

To satisfy my desire for planting, I sketch garden beds, catalog my seeds, and plan where everything will be planted this year.  I start by assessing how well (or not well) everything grew the year before.  Plan on growing more of the well growing plants and exchanging the poor growing plants for another variety in hopes of finding a more vigorous producer for our area.  I keep records on what is planted where so I can rotate the crops from year to year.  Garden planning is a little like being an architect as far as I'm concerned.  I put as much time and effort into it as an architect does in his blueprints of a cathedral, maybe more.

So, enough of my silliness.  I really am doing some garden planning and looking forward to the end of February when I will start some seedlings for the garden.  An I am very thankful for the longer days we are getting, aren't you?

1 comment: