Popular Posts

Monday, February 11, 2013

Planting Ginger Root

We use a lot of ginger here for cooking and medicinal use so I thought it might be fun to see if we could grow our own.  I also gave some to a couple of friends to try before I found this useful information.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/ginger/growing-ginger.htm

I will have to send them the link.  For example, I was thinking that it needed sun and read in this article how it needs shade.

If you buy ginger and leave it out on your counter it will start to sprout after a while.  Here is my ginger and the pot I am going to use to plant it in.


Ginger is used medicinally for motion sickness, nausea and vomiting.   Colds, Flu symptoms, headaches, and arthritis to name a few.  I like to grate it up in honey and make ginger-honey for teas and on toast or biscuits.
I also save and dry the peel when I use it for cooking.  The dried peel goes in my chai concentrate tea as one of the spices.  If you decide to try it give me an update in the meantime I will plant these roots and hope to give you an update in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment