Popular Posts

Monday, February 11, 2013

Starting seeds

 It is time to think about starting some seeds for re-planting out in the garden come warmer weather.  I try to buy heirloom seeds as much as possible and have been known to save seeds from plants that I really like.  There are a few resources for heirloom seeds via the internet.   I love the packages that I get from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds because they are so colorful.  I have ordered from Heirloom acres, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Pinetree Garden Seed, and Seeds of Change in the past.  I also look for companies that provide non-GMO if possible.  It can change from year to year, you might be surprised that a company you were buying seeds from has sold out to Monsanto so be careful and do your homework before ordering if you care about such things.

For me planning the gardens and starting seedlings (as well as planting) can be stressful because there are so many decisions to make......I don't like to make decisions.  It would help if I only had two types of tomatoes to choose from or two types of cucumbers etc.  Don 't get me wrong, I love the choices provided and the variety.  It's just that I only have so much room in my gardens to plant.  If I had my way the whole yard would be a big garden, but I don't have my way and I wouldn't be able to keep up with it if it were so maybe that is for the best after all.  Everything in balance, right?  I included a picture of our dining room table with some of my seeds layed out so you can see the chaos.  The box behind the canister is full of seeds packets as well.  I have another box of "warm season" seeds like squash, bean, cukes, corn, and watermelon.

With my daughters help, I have filled the seed trays and hung my light for another year of starting seeds in the house.  You might remember the ground breaking for the greenhouse....no greenhouse yet.  So this is my set up for starting seeds.  It works and that is all that matters!!

Now I really must start deciding how much of what what I will plant.

2/12/13 update:  Between goat births and dinner at a friends house, I was able to plant cabbage, broccoli, sweet peppers, hot peppers, and some tomatoes in my pots.  Still have some pots to plant, hope to do that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment