Popular Posts

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Making 'Tater Soup

     Hey y'all! How is everyone? Gosh, it has been a long time since anyone has said hello from Raisin' Acres! We (I speak for the family) are all doing well...I guess you could say busy is well, right? Just in case you were wondering, I (Rachel) am stepping in to keep things going here on the blog. "mamastick" (my lovely mother) has been really busy as of late and has felt bad about letting our blog sit so lonely, so I am going to see what I can do to help :) I don't make things sound as exciting as Mama, but I'll see what I can do :)



    Dinner is on the stove, cooking away, smelling it up wonderfully in here. I'm making potato soup! Can you say yum? I love potato soup, it makes me feel warm and cozy inside. Anyways, this is my first crack at potato soup all on my own. I have become Head Chef and Housekeeper since college started for two of my siblings. Anyways, I looked up a recipe for potato soup, and this is how I decided to make it:

1 Chopped Onion
3 Chopped Carrots
8 Cubed Potatoes 
1 Celery Heart (about 3 stalks, including leaves)
Bacon (You can use bacon bits :) ) 
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Milk
Heavy Cream (optional)



1.) Chop those veggies!



     I really enjoy chopping carrots and potatoes. I like to use Mama's "butcher" knife for stuff like this...piece of cake, right? Don't get your finger! 

2.) Place veggies in a pot. Almost cover in water. Throw in some salt, garlic, and pepper. Let them come to a boil. Cover with lid and let simmer until potatoes and carrots are cooked through. At this point, if you are using bacon, start frying it.



3.) Once your veggies are nice and cooked, add milk to the soupy mixture. I used about a quart and a half of raw goats milk (yummy), and half a cup of heavy cream. At this point you can also add bacon (broken into pieces), or if you are in a hurry like me, you will use bacon bits (all-natural of course :) ).

4.) Bring back up to temp, add a little more salt and pepper. Enjoy!

     Sadly, I didn't get a picture of the finished product :( Happily, it was delicious!

     This recipe feeds 6 with plenty left over (half the time I feel like I am cooking for an army. A.K.A. I have two teenage brothers :) ).

     Thanks for listening to my ramblings :) Would love to hear from you!

~Rachel




    

No comments:

Post a Comment