Popular Posts

Friday, June 6, 2014

Herb harvest and storage

Things are growing like crazy around here.  I waited all winter to see this and revel in it. We have had warm days and rain, that is all it takes to make the plants take off.  I have been trying to stay ahead of the burgeoning growth but have to admit it is impossible this time of year to "get it all done".


It gives me such satisfaction to see the fruit of our labor, stored up and ready to be used to treat ailments or to increase our health. I have been chopping dried herbs and storing them and straining tinctures and glycerites that have been soaking. We make teas and tinctures for wellness and sickness both for us and for our animals. Prevention of illness for the animals and ourselves is a priority here.  I've found that dealing with prevention is much more pleasant than dealing with illness.

This is the time of year to dry the green, above ground parts of herbs.  Preferably right before they flower on a dry sunny day.  In the autumn I will harvest the roots I need.  I tend to take the cuttings mid-morning on a dry sunny day.  I bring them into the house and tie them up with twine and hang them under our stairs in the basement.  Most herbs need to dry out of the sun in a place with good air flow.  You can tell you have good herb quality when the herb is dry if it retains green color and has a good smell when crushed.  Once dried I store in clear glass jars.  If you are storing your herbs away from light you can use clear jars but if you are storing in the light you might want to consider colored jars for storage.  Just like spices, keep your herbs cool and dry to make help them last longer.





This is a picture of our wild bergomot before it blooms.  I have already cut it back and dried the branches twice.  I have enough for our needs so will let it bloom now for our enjoyment.








This is yarrow that we planted last year.  I have yet to harvest it....told you I was behind.  

I did a post on essential herbs to grow and their uses here http://raf6.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-essential-herbs-to-grow-list-part-1.html and here http://raf6.blogspot.com/2013/03/essential-herbs-to-growpart-ii.html.



For more information, contact us through our website at the top of the page.







No comments:

Post a Comment