Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Roosters bite

File:Rhode Island Red rooster.jpgI really, really dislike Rhode Island Red roosters.  They tend to get very aggressive and protective of their little flock of hens.  When that happens you had better watch out and you had better carry a very big stick.  We had Rhode Island's a few years ago but no more.  The hens are good layers but we were only ever able to keep a rooster until his 1st birthday before he got mean and ugly.
                          

"Big Red"  was the last RIR rooster we have ever had.  He decided to pick a fight with me one day when I wasn't looking and ended up in the pot by sunset.  Boy did I ever enjoy the chicken and biscuits that night.

As you can see by the picture he got all froggy on me and "spurred" my leg.  The puncture was3/4 of an inch deep and took a tetanus shot, two different oral antibiotics, and all summer to heal up.  You should have heard me trying to explain to the nurse why I needed to come in to be seen.  She kept saying, "your rooster bit you?".......no, my (soon to be dead rooster) spurred me!!!


If you ever decide to get chickens or already have them, be very careful if you have Rhode Island Reds.







2 comments:

  1. I love catching up on your blog. We 'potted' our rooster this weekend... he wasn't aggressive with us, but he was sure torturing the hens! After I had to put one in sick bay for a few days with exposed neck bones (YUCK), the decision was made!
    He made good soup. <3
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your hen, sounds like you made the right decision.

      Delete